Sunday, November 15, 2009

Twitter and Libraries



I enjoyed having a look around many of the site links in this exercise. Rodney Library used it to notify other twitterers about books of interest, giving a brief comment about the book.Having this linked back to the library catalogue is great for showing others who dont make it into the library very often, just what the new arrivals are, enabling a direct link to request the item.I also liked the use of promoting future events and twitter as a way of advertising past events using a photo board, or bulletin board.

I thought it useful to be able to link through to the twitterer of a particular post, especially if it shared attractive information I could be interested in.It wasnt so much the persoal comments in the tweets I liked, but rather being able to link through to a site I might be interested in.

Word restriction helps keep comments brief.Quite a good idea where the comments are silly. I would prefer a more visual way to display tweets.
The communication style is very casual, informal, rather a chit chat format, some of which is quite entertaining, if you like that sort of thing.

I noticed that New York and Vancouver Library twitters promoted library resources and services. I would have to wonder just how many people are regular followers and whether it is a short lived faze or is it the up and coming fashionable way to communicate.?? I'll have to follow to find out.
Maybe its just another technical format of communicating. Not really something I am into. But if this is the way libraries are going then I suppose I will be growing in that area too.

Launching @ Glenfield Library - our Family Reading Programme, :-) fun for all.Registrations open 1 Dec 2009.Call in & sign up.

Have a look at this link on Twitter for libraries.
http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/may09/Milstein.shtml

No comments: