Monday, September 29, 2008

# 23 The best of the nest

What a fantastic opportunity to have an exercise as grand as this one that provides us with an interactive overview into technology available. I was rather daunted to start with. I found it frustrating as I did not have any knowledge of even how to go about making these applications work for me. A 30 minute overview each week prior to the exercise coming out would have been helpful.
Time was a BIG factor. I don’t think anyone would have put in just 15 minutes seven days a week (that’s a total of almost 2hours). I think I would have spent at least 4-5 hours of my time scouting around the different sites. That’s a very large commitment in any person’s week. Especially if one is studying too. Just a reminder there is a life outside work and to provide an ‘on the ball’ service, staff need to have balance between work and home life commitments.
At last I have an idea of what Face book is or My thing or how Flickr works (among many others) and how each of these could enhance the library and my profession. So let’s use some of them.

Any way I am a survivor- I have thoroughly enjoyed this. Should time (work time!) permit I will revisit some of these sites for a more thorough look.

I particular I liked the following:-

RSS feed – fantastic idea to keep up with information and ideas in the library environment. A quick way to provide feedback directly to librarians. Needs to be managed to prevent having an information overload situation.

Library thing- sharing booklists and ideas. Obviously customised for the library environment.

Blogposts- for the NSL webpage. Communication and ideas library and book related. But who will manage this. We desperately and urgently need a Web team. As a large library system we should be leading the way in this field. I reckon our website is ‘behind the times’ – come on NSL.

Podcasts and Flickr –to promote the library, through reviews and images of events.

E-books – a great invention. Clean, lightweight and convenient due to download-ability.
Image generators-( Image Chef, library clouds etc) a great fun thing- Boy it’s endless what technology can do!
Well that’s it from Poppy. Thanks for the introduction and opportunity to partake.

Well worth the time. But relived its now over!

1 comment:

NSL Training Support Team said...

Congratulations! It looked like you had a wonderful journey of discovery. Time consuming, yes, but just look at what you have gained in knowledge, skills and confidence! Continue to keep up to date (through RSS) so that we can keep on providing a 'on the ball' service.