Wednesday, September 24, 2008

# 21 Social Networking

I had a look at Bebo, My space and Facebook. Very social. Even branched out to view Hamilton Public library as well as those mentioned. Visited LIANZA Bebo site, following the conference 2008 link in our exercises. They weren't really what I had thought a social networking site would be like. Probably not as exciting.

With the help of 'fish' I made a facebook a/c and set some high privacy levels (I hope) as I do not want my private information flashed around the world. I was rather cautious of even joining but a colleague convinced it would be good as I could see photos my son may post when he moves to Dubai to work.

I don't really think I am a social network site person. This is probably because I dont spend much time sitting at computers unless its to send emails, search the internet or for work purposes. However if someone can convince me how these sites could be used to benefit libraries and the role they have in our society I may be convinced.

When I searched Facebook for friends joined through NSL it took an expert to discover that the site is case sensitive, as we had trouble bring up our NSL friends. Maybe I dont have any....????

To sum up, I am pleased to have had a brief look around these sites as it will help me understand what my children and those that utilise these social sites are on about.

No comments: